Impact Of Short Selling In Financial Markets
With the financial crisis gripping the stock market worldwide in the last few months of 2008, there have been widespread criticisms on the process of short selling. The opponents have questioned the existence of short selling and argued about the foul play of the short selling. Following such widespread campaigning, in order to boost the investors confidence short selling was either or restricted in most of the Western markets and in the Anglo-Saxon countries. Nevertheless, the financial experts and economists were divided in the opinion of anning short selling. Many argued that such ban will affect the market efficiency and disturb the market from operating freely and fairly. Hence the current research is about the impacts or the effects the ban on short selling have on the financial markets, especially the capital markets. This study focuses on finding such effects in a neutralised approach and free from bias to any side.
The research is compiled in such a way that, the literature review was conducted with an aim of uncovering the loop holes and functioning of short selling experts. Accordingly, the findings of the literature review are in the form of a list of key characteristics short selling possess which increases the efficiency of the system. These key characteristics are evaluated based on the stock price variations in the LSE. The conclusions are drawn based on the findings on the literature review and the analysis done on the stock price movements, crude oil price variation and a survey on the perception of short selling. Based on the findings, a set of commendations are made which will help in the further understanding of the short selling.
2. “UPDATE 1-UK's FSA-short selling not behind share price falls” on January 22 2009, Retrieved on March 6 2009 from http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_COMKTNEWS/idUKLM06105020090122
3. “A Brief History Of Short Selling By CLAIRE SUDDATH” on September 22 2008, Retrieved on March 7 2009 from
4. The history of short selling rule By Daniel at 8 April, 2009, Retrieved on April 10 2009 from http://investment-blog.net/the-history-of-short-selling-rule/
6. Fabozzi Frank(2004), Short Selling-Strategies, Risks and Rewards, John Wiley and sons
7. Claire Suddath, “A Brief History of Short Selling” Sep. 22, 2008 from http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1843255,00.html, Retrieved on April 5 2009
8. Bob Litterman, “The Active Risk Puzzle: Implications for the Asset Management Industry,” The Active Alpha Investing Series (Goldman Sachs Asset Management, March 2004)
9. Sullivan, arthur; Steven M. Sheffrin (2003). Economics: Principles in action. Upper Saddle River,: Pearson Prentice Hall
10. Securities Lending Transactions: Market Development and Implications, Technical
11. Committee of the International Organization of Securities Commissions (July 1999).
12. Bargerhuff & Associates, “Securities Lending Analytics” (2nd quarter, 2000).
13. Knepper, Zachary T (2004). "Future-Priced Convertible Securities & The Outlook For “Death-Spiral” Securities-Fraud Litigation" (pdf). Bepress Legal Repository. Berkeley
14. Emshwiller, John R., and Kara Scannell (July 5, 2007). "Blame the 'Stock Vault'?". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved on March 25 2009 from http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB1183598675629577205Yb1Y_mpcl9a2nKbc0IaV0tDHyk_20070712.html.
15. Ellis, David (September 17, 2008). "SEC puts 'naked' short sellers on notice". www.cnn.com. Retrieved on March 30 2009 from http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/17/news/companies/sec_short_selling/index.htm.
16. "Key Points About Regulation SHO". Securities and Exchange Commission. April 11, 2005, Retrieved on April 10 2009 from http://www.sec.gov/spotlight/keyregshoissues.htm.
17. "Division of Market Regulation: Responses to Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Regulation SHO". Securities and Exchange Commission, Retrieved on April 10 2009 from http://sec.gov/divisions/marketreg/mrfaqregsho1204.htm.
18. Searching for the naked truth, The Economist, Aug 17, 2008, Retrieved on April 10 2009 from
http://www.economist.com/businessfinance/PrinterFriendly.cfm?story_id=119512 46 x
19. Gordon, Marcy (2008-09-17). "SEC adopts rules against 'naked' short-selling". Associated Press, Retrieved on April 8 2009 from
20. Susan Christoffersen, Christopher Geczy, David Musto, and Adam Reed, “How and Why do Investors Trade Votes, and What Does it Mean?” working paper, Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania, March 2004.
21. Gene D’Avolio, “The Market for Borrowing Stock,” Journal of Financial Economics (November 2002), pp. 271–306.
22. D’Avolio, “The Market for Borrowing Stock” and Christopher Geczy, David Musto, and Adam Reed, “Stocks Are Special Too: An Analysis of the Equity
Lending Market,” Journal of Financial Economics (November 2002), pp. 241–269
23. D’Avolio, “The Market for Borrowing Stock” and Christopher Geczy, David Musto, and Adam Reed, “Stocks Are Special Too: An Analysis of the Equity
Lending Market,” Journal of Financial Economics (November 2002), pp. 241–269
24. Paul Asquith and Lisa Meulbroek, “An Empirical Investigation of Short Interest,” working paper, Harvard Business School, Harvard University, 1995.
25. D. Harmon and Y. Bar-Yam. "Technical Report on SEC Uptick Repeal Pilot". New England Complex Systems Institute, Retrieved on May 10 2009 from http://www.necsi.edu/research/UptickTechReport.pdf.
26. "Amendments to Exchange Act Rule 10a-1 and Rules 201 and 200(g) of
Regulation SHO". From SEC website http://www.sec.gov/divisions/marketreg/tmcompliance/rules10a-200g-201secg.htm. Retrieved on 31-3-2009
27. Ackerman, Gary "Ackerman Urges New SEC Chief to Restore Uptick Rule to Regulate Short Sales of Stocks", on Retrieved on 2009-04-16 from http://www.house.gov/list/press/ny05_ackerman/PR_012709.html.
28. Bernanke: Uptick rule might have been useful during crisis". MarketWatch. Retrieved on 2009-02-25. from
29. Pessin, Alfred (1978). Fundamentals of the Securities Industry. New York Institute of Finance. p. 241 retrieved on 21-3-2009
30. Stock Price factors (image) (What affects stock prices? 2008) Retrieved on September 5, 2008 from http://www.howthemarketworks.com/populartopics/stock-price-factors.php
31. Manipulation, Retrieved on September 5, 2008 from http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/manipulation.asp
32. New York Stock exchange, A guide to the NYSE market place, retrieved on September 5, 2008 from http://www.nyse.com/pdfs/nyse_bluebook.pdf
33. First step to investing in the share market, Retrieved on September 5 2008 from http://www.sharekhan.com/
34. Wyss, B O’Neill Wyss(2001), Fundamentals of the stock market, McgrawHill,USA
35. Official website of London Stock Exchange, Retrieved on September 8, 2008, from http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/
36. Official Website of New York Stock Exchange, Retrieved on September 5, 2008, from http://www.nyse.com/
37. Economy watch, Retrieved on September 8, 2008 from http://www.economywatch.com/stock-markets-in-world/
38. CFA Institute, CFA Level 1 program curriculum 2008 ,Volume 1, Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston
39. CFA Institute, CFA Level 1 program curriculum 2008, Volume 2 Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston
40. CFA Institute, CFA Level 1 program curriculum 2008, Volume 3 Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston
41. CFA Institute, CFA Level 1 program curriculum 2008, Volume 4 Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston
42. CFA Institute, CFA Level 1 program curriculum 2008, Volume 5 Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston
43. CFA Institute, CFA Level 1 program curriculum 2008, Volume 6 Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston
44. Creswell, J.W. (2003) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Method Approaches. California: Sage Publications.
45. Saunders, Mark; Thornhill, Adrian; Lewis, Philip (2007) Research Methods for Business Students, 3rd Edition, Prentice Hall
46. Jackson, P. (1994). Desk Research. London: Kegan-Paul.
47. Marcoulides, G. A. (1998) Modern Methods for Business Research. NY: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
48. Miles, M.B. and Huberman, M. (1994) Qualitative Data Analysis: A Source Book of NewMethods. London: Sage Publications
49. Page and Meyer, (2000) Applied Research Design for Business and Management", McGrawHill
50. Hussey, J. & Hussey, R. 1997, Business Research, Macmillan Press Ltd, Basingstoke.
51. Cooper D.R. & Schindler P.S. (1998) 'Business Research Methods' Irwin, 6th Edition, 1998
52. Cooper H.M. (1998) 'Synthesizing Research, A Guide for Literature Reviews' Sage Publications, March 1998
53. Jankowicz, A.D. (2005) Business Research Projects, (4th Edition).
54. “Discussion paper on Short Selling and Securities Lending and Borrowing”(2008), by Secondary Market Advisory Committee of SEBI
55. Marsh,W. Ian and Niemer, Norman (2008) The Impact of Short Sales
Restrictions, Cass Business School
56. "More woes for Refco, execs: Newspapers say creditors eye over $1B insiders made from stock, while SEC probes "naked shorting"". CNN/Money. October 20,
2005, Retrieved on April 20 2009 from http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/20/news/midcaps/refco/index.htm.
57. "SEC Complaint against Gryphon Partners" (PDF). December 12,2006, Retrieved on April 20 2009 from http://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2006/comp19942.pdf.
58. "Goldman Sachs fined $2m over short-selling". TimesOnline and AP. March 15, 2007. Retrieved on April 20 2009 from http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/corporate/article1519648.ece.
59. "S.E.C. Requests Receiver for Universal Express". The New York Times. June 23, 2007. Retrieved on April 20 2009 from http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/23/business/23sec.html.
60. Floyd Norris, "A Sad Tale of Fictional SEC Filings", The New York Times, June 22, 2007
61. "Monthly Disciplinary Actions - July 2007 ", NYSE Regulation, July 11, 2007
62. Edgar Ortega, "Piper Fined by the NYSE Over Short-Sale Violations", Bloomberg News, July 11, 2007
63. "SEC Charges New York Hedge Fund Adviser With Short Sale Violations in Connection With Hibernia-Capital One Merger", SEC Press Release, October 10, 2007
64. Heidi N. Moore, "We See Dead People: $250K Fine for Lehman Short-Sales", Wall Street Journal, October 22, 2008
65. "DTCC response to Wall Street Journal Article", Press release, July 6, 2007
66. Kaja Whitehouse (2008-11-05). "Drop in naked shorts". New York Post. Retrieved on April 30 2009 from http://www.nypost.com/seven/11052008/business/drop_in_naked_shorts_137107. htm. "
67. James W. Christian, Robert Shapiro & John-Paul Whalen (2006). "Naked Short Selling: How Exposed Are Investors?". Houston Law Review. Retrieved on May 11 2009 from http://www.houstonlawreview.org/archive/downloads/434_pdf/Christian.pdf.
68. Drummond, Bob (August 4, 2006). ""Naked Short Sellers Hurt Companies With Stock They Don't Have"". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved on May 11 2009 from http://www.rgm.com/articles/bloomberg2.html.
69. "DTCC Chief Spokesperson Denies Existence of Lawsuit". financialwire.net. May 11, 2004. . Retrieved on May 11 2009 from http://www.rgm.com/articles/financialwire.html.
70. "Senator Bennett Discusses Naked Short Selling on the Senate Floor", website of Senator Bennett, July 20, 2007, Retrieved on May 11 2009 from http://bennett.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Speeches&ContentRecord_id=0c9d
71. "WayPoint Biomedical Holdings, Inc. Files Lawsuit Against The Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation (DTCC)". Genetic Engineering and Biotech News. June 25, 2007. Retrieved on May 4 2009 from http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=19497609.
72. "Nevada Court Dismisses Nanopierce Lawsuit Against DTCC On Naked Short Selling". Depository Trust Clearing Corporation. May 2005. Retrieved on April 11 2009 fromhttp://www.dtcc.com/Publications/dtcc/may05/nanopierce.html.
73. Moyer, Liz (2006-04-13). "Naked Shorts". Forbes. Retrieved on April 8 2009 from http://www.forbes.com/business/2006/04/13/naked-shorts-lawsuitcx_lm_0413naked.html.
74. "US Judge Dismisses Naked Short Selling Suit Vs. Brokers", Dow Jones News Service, Dec. 20, 2007
75. "Naked Short Victim Strikes Back". Forbes. February 2, 2007. Retrieved on May 26 2009 from http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/02/naked-short-suit-overstock-bizcx_lm_0202naked.html.
76. Liz Moyer (July 18, 2007). "Naked Shorting Case Gains Traction". Forbes. Retrieved on May 14 2009 from http://www.forbes.com/wallstreet/2007/07/18/naked-shorting-overstock-bizwallst-cx_lm_0718overstock.html.
77. "Overstock Shares Rise on Court Ruling in Broker Suit", Bloomberg News, July 18, 2007
78. Pet Quarters, Inc. v. Depository Trust and Clearing Corp. --- F.3d ----, 2009 WL 579270 C.A.8 (Ark.),2009.
79. "Court Rules Against Company Claiming Illegal Short Selling" by Carol Remond, Dow Jones News Service, March 11, 2009
80. Companies in the Oil Business for the Long Haul by Giuseppe Marconi(2008) Retrieved on April 10 2009 from http://www.oil-price.net/
81. Profitability and $100 oil by Steve Austin - 2008/01/05 Retrieved on April 10 2009 from http://www.oil-price.net/
82. Light Sweet Crude Oil(2008) Retrieved on May 25 2009 from http://www.nymex.com/lsco_fut_descri.aspx
83. Ajay Shah(1998), “The price discovery mechanism” Retrieved on April 7 2009 from http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/MEDIA/1998/pricediscovery.html
Authors retain the copyright of their manuscripts, and all Open Access articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.
The use of general descriptive names, trade names, trademarks, and so forth in this publication, even if not specifically identified, does not imply that these names are not protected by the relevant laws and regulations. The submitting author is responsible for securing any permissions needed for the reuse of copyrighted materials included in the manuscript.
While the advice and information in this journal are believed to be true and accurate on the date of its going to press, neither the authors, the editors, nor the publisher can accept any legal responsibility for any errors or omissions that may be made. The publisher makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the material contained herein.