EXPERIMENTAL STUDY ON MECHANICAL AND DURABILITY PROPERTIES OF HIGH PERFORMANCE CONCRETE REPLACING COARSE AGGREGATE BY FERRO SLAG AGGREGATES
The main objective of this research is to find out alternative materials for concrete to meet the demands of coarse aggregate for the upcoming years, to provide adequate strength at minimum cost, to make the eco-friendly structures.Â Use of ferro slag a waste industrial by-product of iron and steel production provides great opportunity to utilize it as an alternative to normally available aggregates (coarse). In this research, ferro slag is used and M60 grade concrete ofÂ W/C ratio 0.28 was used respectively for the replacement of 0 to 100% coarse aggregate by ferro slag aggregate for find out the optimum ratio of steel slag. In this study, a mix ratio of 1: 1.2: 2.4 is used in conventional mix. Initial optimization ofÂ ferro slag aggregate for replacing the natural coarse aggregate was find with 7and 28 days strength. Test on compressive strength and non-destructive test at 7 and 28 days were conducted. It was concluded that possible optimum replacement of slag material was found to be 40%. Split Tensile Strength and Flexural Strength and durability characteristics were carried out for conventional and optimum concrete mix to study the properties of concrete with ferro slag.
2. Dr.K.Chinnaraju,V.R.Ramkumar, K.Lineesh, S.Nithya, V.Sathish , â€œStudy on concrete using Steel Slag As Coarse Aggregate Replacement and Ecosand As Fine Aggregate Replacementâ€, International Journal of Research in Engineering & Advanced Technology ,vol.1, No.3, pp.1-6,2013.
3. P.S.Kothai and R.Malathy,â€œEnhancement of Concrete properties by Steel Slag as a Partial Replacement Material for Coarse Aggregatesâ€, Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol.7 No.12 pp.278 -285, 2013.
4. Maslehuddin.M, Alfarabi M.Sharif, Shameem.M, Ibrahim M, Barry M.S , â€œComparison of properties of steel slag and crushed limestone aggregate concretesâ€, Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 17, pp 105-112,2002.
5. Juan M Manso, Juan A Polanco, Milagros Losanez and Javier J Gonzalez, "Durability of Concrete made with EAF Slag as Aggregates", Cement and Concrete Composite, pp 528-534,2006.
6. Dr.Pajgadel P S and Thakur N B, â€œUtilisation of Waste product of Steel Industryâ€, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications,Vol.3, 2013.
7. Papayianni I and Anastasiou E , â€œProduction of high-strength concrete using high volume of industrial by-productsâ€, Construction and Building Materials,Vol.24,No.8,pp.1412-1417,2010.
8. Mohammed Nadeem, Arun D. Pofale, â€œExperimental Investigation of Using Slag as an Alternative to Normal Aggregates (coarse and fine) in concreteâ€, International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering, vol. 3,pp.117-127,2012.
9. Chawla, S.L, Gupta, R.K.(1993). In: Haddad MT, editor. Materials selection for corrosion control, Materials Park, OH: ASM International.
10. Feldman, R.F., Beaudoio, J.J. (1991). â€œEffect of cement blends on chloride and sulfate ion diffusion in concrete.â€ II Cemento,Vol.88,pp. 3â€“18.
11. Irassar, E.F., Di Maio, A., Batic,O.R., (1996). â€œSulfate attack on concrete with mineral admixtures.â€ Cement and Concrete Research, Vol.26, No.1, pp.113â€“ 123, DOI: 10.1016/0008-8846(95)00195-6.
12. Mangat,P.S., Molloy,B.T.,(1991). â€œInfluence of PFA, slag and Micro silica on Chloride-induced corrosion of reinforcement in concrete.â€ Cement and Concrete Research, Vol.21, pp.819â€“834, DOI: 10.1016/0008-8846(91)90177-J.
13. Mehta, P.K. (1993). Sulfate attack on concrete: A critical review, in: R.R. Villarreal (Ed.), Concrete Durability, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, pp. 107â€“ 132.
14. Muralidharan ,S., Saraswathy, V., Thangavel, K., Srinivasan, S.(2000).â€œCompetitive role of inhibitive and aggressive ions in the corrosion of steel in concrete.â€ Journal of AppliedElectrochemistry,Vol.30, pp.1255â€“1259,DOI: 10.1023/A:1026570120698.
15. Rasheeduzzafar, Bader, A.M., Khan M.M.(1992). â€œ Performance of corrosion resisting steel in chloride-bearing concrete.â€ ACI Materials Journals, Vol.89, No.5,pp.439â€“48, DOI: 10.14359/2379.
16. Shamsad Ahmad.(2003). â€œReinforcement corrosion in concrete structures, its monitoring and service life prediction â€” a review.â€ Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 25, No.4â€“5, pp. 459â€“471, DOI: 10.1016/s0958-9465(02)00086-0.
17. Tumidajski, P.J, Chan, G.W. (1996).â€œEffect of sulfate and carbon dioxide on chloride diffusivity.â€ Cement and Concrete Research,Vol.26,pp.551â€“556, DOI: 10.1016/0008-8846(96)00019-1.
Authors retain the copyright of their manuscripts, and all Open Access articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.