An efficient Scheme to Remove Low Density Impulse Noise From A Digital Image
AbstractAn improved adaptive noise reduction scheme for images that are highly corrupted by Salt-and-Pepper noise(impulse noise), is proposed in this paper which efficiently removes the salt and pepper noise while preserving the details. The proposed scheme efficiently identifies and reduces salt and pepper noise. The algorithm utilizes an IIR filter with controlled parameters to get better image quality than the existing methods of noise removing. A comparative analysis between the proposed scheme and other techniques of noise reduction or removing is presented in order to show the advantages of the proposed scheme in removing the noisy pixels and producing a better PSNR.
Impulse Noises,â€ IEEE Signal Processing Papers, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 189-192, March 2007.
2. R. H. Chan, Chung-Wa Ho, M. Nikolova, â€œSalt and Pepper Noise Removal by Median Type Noise Detectors and
Detail â€“Preserving Regularization,â€ IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 14, No.10, pp. 1479-1485,
3. T. S. Huang, G. J. Yang, and G. Y. Tang, â€œFast two-dimensional median filtering algorithm,â€ IEEE Trans.
Acoustics, Speech, Signal Process., Vol. ASSP-1, No. 1, pp. 13â€“18, Jan. 1979.
4. C. A. Pomalaza-Racz and C. D. Macgillem, â€œAn adaptive non linear edge preserving filter,â€ IEEE Trans.
Acoustics, Speech, Signal Process., Vol. ASSP-32, pp. 571â€“576, Jun. 1984.
5. T. Sun and Y. Neuvo, â€œDetail-preserving median based filters in image processing,â€ Pattern Recognition. Lett.,
vol. 15, pp. 341â€“347, 1994
6. H. Hwang and R. A. Haddad, â€œAdaptive median filters: New algorithms and results,â€ IEEE Trans. Image Process.,
Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 499â€“502, Apr. 1995.
7. S. Zhang and M. A. Karim, â€œA new impulse detector for switching median filters,â€ IEEE Signal Process. Lett,. Vol.
9, No. 11, pp. 360â€“363, Nov. 2002.
8. H.-L. Eng and K.-K. Ma, â€œNoise adaptive soft-switching median filter,â€ IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 10, no. 2,
pp. 242â€“251, Feb. 2001.
9. Madhu S. Nair, K. Revathy, and Rao Tatavarti, Removal of Salt-and Pepper Noise in Images: A New Decision-
Based Algorithm, Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2008
Vol I IMECS 2008, 19-21 March, 2008, Hong Kong.
10. Rafael C. Gonzalez and Richard E. Woods. Digital Image Processing( Addison-Wesley 1992)
11. Huynh-Thu, Q.; Ghanbari, M. (2008). "Scope of validity of PSNR in image/video quality assessment". Electronics
Letters. 44 (13): 800. doi:10.1049/el:20080522.
12. Oriani, Emanuele. "qpsnr: A quick PSNR/SSIM analyzer for Linux". http://qpsnr.youlink.org/. Retrieved 26 August
Copyright (c) 2016 INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTERS & TECHNOLOGY
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright of their manuscripts, and all Open Access articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.